This matchless picture postcard village is immortalised by its suffering during an outbreak of plague in 1665/6, when the villagers put themselves into voluntary quarantine. A plaque marks the cottage where the plague began and the names of many victims are displayed on the houses where they lived and died. Each August a commemoration service is held on the slopes of a dell where the brave rector prayed with his dwindling congregation. The village still has its ancient market hall, stocks, bull ring and at least one haunted pub. Eyam Hall and Craft Centre are open to visitors.