Nestling in the cleft of Middleton Dale, the old cottages of Stoney Middleton cling to foundations embedded deep in stone. The village has an octagonal toll cottage converted into a chip shop, and an octagonal church with an octagonal font. Tradition has it that Roman legionaries bathed in the local sulphurous springs, and the waters still flow through a well preserved bath-house near the church. High on the limestone gorge in the Dale is Lover’s Leap Rock, from which in 1762 a jilted maid took off her bonnet and jumped. But her voluminous skirts billowed out and slowed her fall. She landed with just a few scratches - the Peak’s first parachutist!